Having a pet is a big responsibility, which is not limited to eating and walking. The first thing you need to do is secure your home. Some everyday products that you consume and use may be dangerous for your pet.
Some pizza supplements are dangerous for pets, especially sauces, yellow cheese, onions and garlic. High lactose content is harmful to the animal. Too much salt in pizza is another danger that can be fatal to your pet.
The first aid kit must always be kept away from our four-legged companions. Any medicine containing acetaminophen, such as paracetamol and others, is dangerous. This medication causes liver damage in dogs or anemia in cats, and the consequences can be fatal.
Tip: Store the pills in screw jars. If you drop the medicine on the floor, hurry to find it before your pet does.
8. Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine
A cup of coffee and chocolate can be vital for starting your day, but prove fatal for your pet. These products contain a substance that is toxic to pets called methylxanthine (contained in cocoa seeds). If swallowed, it can cause shortness of breath, vomiting, convulsions, and even death. If you notice any of these symptoms or suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate, be sure to bring it to a veterinarian.
7. Grapes and Raisins
Even a few grape grains can cause tremors, vomiting, kidney failure and lethargy.
Tip: Keep dangerous foods in containers or high enough to prevent the dog from reaching them.
If you love your pet, make sure that alcohol is far away from it. It damages the liver and kidneys, which leads to abnormal blood acidity, reduced coordination and in the worst cases – heart failure, coma and even death.
5. Onion and Garlic
Keep these products away from your pet as well. They can cause gastrointestinal irritation and anemia.
Keeping insects away from home is great, but not at the expense of your pet’s health. The chemicals contained in the insecticides are toxic to pets and can lead to seizures, chronic anorexia and muscle weakness. There are special products that are safe to use in the presence of pets.
3. Coins and Small Metal Items
Some coins can be swallowed without causing serious damage, but not zinc. Zinc dissolves in the stomach and is absorbed into the bloodstream, which leads to liver damage and kidney or heart failure.
Tip: If you suspect that your pet has eaten something that contains zinc, don’t try to make it vomit or give it something to drink. Contact your veterinarian immediately.
2. Laundry Detergents
Most detergents are made up of chemicals that can lead to excessive saliva, vomiting and suffocation. The biggest danger lies in disposable laundry products that smell good and look like a toy that your pet can easily bite and swallow.
1. Spring Cleaning Products
Example products: oven cleaners, concentrated toilet cleaners, dishwashing chemicals and pool chemicals. These products can cause chemical burns if swallowed or in contact with skin and hair.
Tip: any room in the house containing similar products should be protected from pets to stop their natural curiosity.